Skip to main content

Applying to USU

If you would like to study in IELI and/or USU, you will need to complete an on-line application through USU's main system. There are three options for studying at USU:

  • IELI Pathways program:  If you would like to pursue a degree after studying in IELI.  After finishing IELI you may be able to enter directly into an undergraduate degree program at USU if you have applied and been admitted. Depending on your level of proficiency, you may be able to take some IELI classes and some courses in your undergraduate major at the same time. 
  • IELI Only:  If you would like to improve your English, you may apply for IELI only.  If you later decide that you would like to stay and pursue a degree at USU, you will have to apply for the undergraduate or graduate degree program you desire. 
  • Graduate:  If you would like to pursue a graduate degree (Master's or PhD).  The link below will take you to the School of Graduate Studies website.

More information about each of these options.


After you send in your application form, all documents, and payment, your application will be reviewed. Once you are accepted, the Global Engagement office will send your I-20, a document you need to get a student visa, along with other information.



International students are responsible for all their expenses. No financial assistance is available for "English-only students." Undergraduates should check with the Office of International Students and Scholars regarding small scholarships. Graduate students should check with the Graduate Studies office.

If you have any questions or are having problems, please email us at: